Thursday, June 26, 2008

BIAL for real

I want to preempt any possible accusation that I am a lobbyist for BIAL with this full disclosure – I own stocks in BIAL* and I have worked out an elaborate kickback scheme with them to funnel into my personal bank account a part of the UDF they collect from travelers from various forums that I lurk around.

Also, I am a technologically-challenged person and so do not walk around with a cell phone that takes great photographs (as well as make hot dosas) so hoping that the following thousand words are worth a picture. Therefore reader discretion is advised.

I finally got a chance to get a first-hand look at BIAL. I flew Bengaluru-Delhi-Chandigarh and back this week. This experience would rank alongside my first airline flight in 1968 as one of the most anticipated moments of my life. I had been closely following the developments around the new airport in Bangalore for over a decade even through the years when I lived thousands of miles away. The anticipation was further heightened by reports of a monumental disaster and so I approached this trip with a sense of trepidation and foreboding.

Now I must confess that I am not a sophisticated traveler who throws out with consummate skill various acronyms for city names, aircraft model and registration numbers, communication gear used, landing approach taken by aircraft etc. However, I have been a frequent traveler around the world for the past 30 years and can smell convenience from a continent away.

BIAL connectivity: I live in East Bangalore (Richards Town). On Saturday afternoon, it took me exactly 50 minutes to get dropped off curbside at BIAL. It took me about the same to get back home from BIAL on Wednesday around 9:00 pm. The NH-7 part of the road between BIAL interchange and Yelahanka north exit is looking very good. If and when the government carries out its threat to build an elevated section between Hebbal flyover and North Yelahanka, the drive will be a breeze (for me at least). By contrast, a trip to the HAL airport would vary between 20 minutes and 45 minutes depending on the disposition of the bus drivers from HAL and other DRDO orgs on S.Das Road.

BIAL user interface: It took me exactly 12 minutes from the time I was dropped off curbside to order my complimentary cup of coffee at the café near my departure gate. During this time, I got checked in, went through security check and had the chance for a quick restroom stop. I might have just got lucky or it may have been due to the fact that I was behind the great Roger Binny (who was on his way to the Lords with Kirmani and Kirti Azad for the big event) at the check in and security lines and may have vicariously enjoyed VIP status.

On my return, the aircraft pulled up to the gate at 8:45 pm and I was in a cab by 9:10. During this time, the aerobridge got attached, passenger unloaded, baggage collected, pit stop made (I told you before, I am a 58-year old male!), taxi money from ATM collected. It was almost a Changi-like experience especially in contrast to Delhi Terminal 1 which still retains the look and feel (and smell) of an AAI airport.

The things I did not like about BIAL – being greeted on arrival by the smell of chicken grilling in the tandoor (coming from one of the cafes), the dysfunction around the taxi line, the efforts of BIAL and the taxi company reps notwithstanding and the boarding procedure -- how difficult can it be to board by row numbers. I know KF tried this at HAL but I think we, the people, defeated that system effectively. The last of these could considerably reduce the clustering of people around the departure gates.

Meru cabs are fantastic. When it is your turn at the top of the taxi line assuming one has been allowed to form, the uniformed cab driver jumps out and loads your luggage in the trunk, starts the meter, takes you to your destination, prints you a receipt, collects the money with no intention to hang around to ask for something extra. By the way, I did have a very enlightening discussion with the cab driver on lane discipline (he said, "It is a great idea, I will comply but my customers are always in a hurry and want me to pay no attention to lanes". Lane driving=Slow traffic)

BIAL terminal building aesthetics: Like I said I am a nuts and bolts traveler and pay very little attention to these things unless it is extremely noteworthy (the only airport that falls in this category for me is Denver International). I have flown in and out of Changi dozens of times yet cannot remember anything about the external appearance. In my opinion, the designers of BIAL have made the best effort at striking a balance between cost, functionality, internal ambience (space, light etc.) etc with reasonable success. I say put spectacular landscaping around the building and nobody will pay attention to the building itself.

Toilets: I thought that it was adequate for arrivals but not so in the departure area. It looks like BIAL now has a caretaker for each toilet and the level of cleanliness is good.

Finally, I would say that arriving at BIAL, hiring a cab and traveling on NH7 up to Yelanka is almost a first-world experience. From Yelahanka onwards, just close your eyes and pray!

(*PS: In case you are wondering how I acquired stocks in BIAL, I will let you in on a secret -- I acquired them through our fearless leaders in the Government of Karnataka!)

No comments: